Thursday, November 17, 2011

With the holidays looming close on the horizon, I find myself fighting the urge to lock myself in my house and just bake for days on end. If you remember last year's post around this time, then you know how much I love to bake for my friends and family members. Since Thanksgiving is next week, I thought I would quickly whip up something to give out to a couple of my besties before leaving for California.

I can't remember when I first started cooking chutney but ever since that fateful day, people have been requesting my cranberry chutney for their parties and dinner tables. What's so great about this recipe is that it's incredibly versatile- serve it as a side with some turkey, slather it on some cinnamon bread with some butter as a quick breakfast or serve it with some cream cheese and crackers as an hors d'oeuvre. This scrumptious, crimson-colored spread is incredibly easy to make but immensely satisfying. When you're putting together your Thanksgiving or Friendsgiving feast this year, keep this recipe in mind- I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

Cranberry Chutney

12 oz. frozen or fresh Cranberries
1 1/4 cup Sugar
3/4 cup Water
1 large Apple (preferably Granny Smith)
2 tsp ground Cinnamon
1 tsp ground Ginger
1/4 tsp ground Cloves
1-2 Tbsp Orange zest

Begin by chopping up the apple into tiny bite-size pieces.

In a medium-sized sauce pan, combine all of the ingredients. Bring the mixture to a boil; stir constantly.

Reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for 15-17 minutes. This will allow the mixture to thicken. (Tip- Want a chunkier chutney? Stir the mixture only once or twice while it's simmering. The more you stir the chutney, the gooier the cranberries will become.)

Remove from the stove. Let cool to room-temperature. Transfer to another container. Refrigerate several hours before using.

No comments:

Post a Comment