Sunday, January 2, 2011

So, Christmas has come and gone. 2010 has said it's final "Adieu." It's time to begin another year. With a fresh start, we can only hope that 2011 will be a little bit better than the year before.

Looking back on this year's Christmas, I can't help but admit- I really did out-do myself. The weeks leading up to the big day, for me, tend to be much more magical than the day itself. So, of course, I take every opportunity I can to enjoy it and to help foster my own sense of "holiday spirit." That would explain why we had 3 different kinds of cookies, 3 different kinds of candy, 2 baked goods that incorporated coconut in some way, sweet rolls, an apple french toast strata, a cherry pie, a baked cranberry pudding and a large amount of chutney (Note- this is the chutney leftover from my parents giving it out to our neighbors).

I know, that is enough food to feed a small army. Needless to say, our house was never short of something sweet this holiday. In my defense, however, every family has their own traditions and since we're a big baking family, it's been one of our traditions to make a baked good specifically for each family member.

Below, is a recipe for my favorite holiday baked good. My mom has been making "Super Dupers" ever since she was a kid; the recipe originally came from my Nana. They're best with a cup of milk or something warm and cozy, like hot coco. Hopefully they'll remind you of some good times with your family too.

Courtesy of Beatrice Pettre
Super Dupers

2/3 cup Shortening
4 oz. Unsweetened chocolate
2 tsp Baking powder
1/8 tsp Salt
1 cup Sugar
1 cup Brown Sugar
2 cups Flour
4 room temperature Eggs
1/2 cup chopped Pecans
Powdered sugar

Being by melting the chocolate and shortening together in a medium bowl. (Tip- you can use the microwave, it'll be faster)

Combine the baking powder, salt, sugar and flour in another bowl. Pour in the chocolate mixture. Beat. Add the eggs, 2 at a time. Beat well after each addition.
Finish by folding in the nuts.

Chill the cookie dough in the refrigerator for a couple hours- overnight would be best.

To bake, take about a tablespoon of the dough and roll it into a ball. Cover it with a thick layer of powdered sugar.

Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes on UNGREASED cookie sheets. (Tip- If you want a softer cookie, bake for only 13 mins.)

Let the cookies sit 2-3 minutes after taking them out of the oven, transfer them to a wire rack to continue cooling. Makes about 32 cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment