Thursday, September 23, 2010

September 21, the great autumnal equinox, has officially come and gone, meaning Fall is here. While Virginia continues to suffer through 90 degree temperatures, I dare to sport zip-up hoodies and home made vegetable soup in the comfort of my air conditioned home. I can't help it, my mind has already switched to "fall mode." I've bought my Martha Stewart Halloween guide and I currently have trips planned to an apple orchard and pumpkin patch in October.

During the Fall, in particular, I tend to become incredibly domestic. I have an urge to bake everyday, for everyone I know. The situation usually goes something like this: "Hey, I know you! You look hungry! Let me bake you a pie. You say you don't like pie? Well, how about scones? No? Pumpkin bread? Alright, here are 5 loaves."

There's nothing I love more than spending time with my friends and what better combination is there than food and friends? I guess this is my way of ensuring that those close to me have something to eat that's a little more nutritious than Doritos or leftover Chinese food.

So, when you're all by your lonesome this Fall, and Winter is looming ever so ominously on the horizon, remember that this recipe below- 1. is great with coffee, 2. bakes a lot and 3. freezes perfectly for months. Bake something for those dearest to you or start stocking up for the treacherous days of Snowacalypse 3. Who knows- the Great Pumpkin just might save the day after all!

Almond Pumpkin Bread

1 1/8 cup toasted, slivered Almonds
3 cups Flour
3 tsp Baking powder
3/4 tsp Baking soda
1 1/2 tsp Salt
2 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Ground ginger
3/8 tsp Ground cloves
3 large Eggs
1 1/2 cup Sugar
15 oz Can of pumpkin
3 Tbsp Vegetable oil
3/4 cup Evaporated milk
1 1/2 tsp Almond extract

Begin by toasting the almonds in the oven at 350 degrees until they are golden brown, about 5-7 minutes.

Sift together all the dry ingredients, including the spices.

Beat the eggs and sugar together in a large bowl until they're fluffy. Add in half the canned pumpkin, the almond extract and oil. Beat well. Add in some of the flour mixture. Beat well. Add in some of the evaporated milk. Beat well. Repeat the process until both have been evenly combined into the batter. Stir in the last of the canned pumpkin. Finish by folding in the almonds; make sure to save a few to sprinkle over the top of the loaves.

Pour  the batter into 3 medium-sized aluminum bread loaves.

Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. uhhhhm
    I love your baked goods
    and i want to eat them all.

    ReplyDelete